Monday, March 15, 2010

Full Time Photographer

I did it! I resigned from my full time position at the architecture firm I've worked at since being a Freshman in college! This is a big change for me. And a little overdo. My poor friends and family have been listening to me talk about this plan for... well, awhile now :)


I haven't been passionate about architecture in a long time and I haven't felt good about the work I've been doing. This was a huge reason I picked up a camera almost 2 years ago. I wanted to feel passionate about how I spent my days and my life. This past year has been CRAZY! I've been running around a mile a minute and had a very anxious mind and heart. It's time for me to take a little time and slow down. I need to find my relationship with Jesus again. I know he hasn't gone anywhere, but my inability to calm down and hear his voice has impacted me. I need to take a serious look at my heart and relearn how to communicate with my heavenly father.

Not only is it a big change for me, but Travis as well. We've certainly grown accustomed to a two-income household. Not that my photography business isn't an income. I'm extremely grateful to be paid for something I love so much. We just simply won't be getting a set amount of money every two weeks deposited in our bank account. It will be different. Travis has been unbelievably supportive of this decision. He wasn't at first. I'm pretty sure he thought it was crazy to quit my job. I thought it was crazy at first too! But over this past year he has realized along side me how good this change will be for me and for our marriage. Not only has he been supportive, but the week I told my employers I would be leaving, he secretly bought me a 1-hour massage (my favorite indulgence) and hid it in my car for me to find. I'm finding it more awesome every day to be his wife!

So... a lot of people have been asking me what I'll do, and how will I fill my days!? I'm so excited to say that I am about to be a full time photographer! I'm really looking forward to this. Not only will I have more time to schedule my photo shoots and do the editing. But I'll get some more time to learn, research, work on marketing material and a bit of advertising! I'm so excited! The majority of people have been 100% supportive, and I'm so thankful! I don't know if I could have gotten up the courage without so many wonderful people backing me up :)

Here goes nothin' !

13 comments:

LindaAlex March 15, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

I am so proud of you!!

Johnni March 15, 2010 at 8:28 AM  

WooHoo!!! So stinkin' excited for you :) You WON'T have trouble filling your time. I got a lot of those questions too. Sometimes I almost found myself trying not to be offended by them :P Ditto to you your mom -- I'm proud too!

Katie R. March 15, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

Congrats! That is so very exciting!!PS- Thank you for choosing to volunteer in the nursery at church. I am a wreck every time I drop Avery off there. However, as soon as I see you, it makes me feel 100% better. Good luck with your new adventure!

Ellen March 15, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

Ashley this is so amazing and bold! I'll keep you in my prayers :)

Mom March 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

So excited for you Ashley! Can't wait to see even more of your wonderful photos!

Jenny R

Anonymous March 15, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

Yay! So excited for you Ashley! You are an amazing photographer and you will go far. Plus, I acknowledge you for wanting to step back and realize that your relationship with Jesus wasn't all it could be. Good for you. :) Good luck in all you do and I can't wait for you to take pics of my family.
-Angelina Lingua

Unknown March 15, 2010 at 8:29 PM  

CONGRATS!!!! way to go!!! lets do lunch to celebrate

Becky Bartlett March 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

Hooray for you, Ashley. Your work will miss you like crazy, but you will be awesome at your new job!! So excited for your new adventure. When you have some time, give me a ring and let's hang out!!

Anonymous March 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

Ashley Annie, Wow how exciting to do what you love and are very good at! I love you and the true faith you have!! Keep enjoying life with Travis, family and friends. I know your photography will go far with your passion!! Love and Bless you, Aunt Cindy

Amber March 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

WOW!!!!!! SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats, Ashley.

Paige H. March 29, 2010 at 4:39 PM  

Rorek is the CUTEST BABY EVER!!! He has the BRIGHTEST BLUES EYES I have ever seen!!!

Lisa H March 29, 2010 at 5:28 PM  

what cute pics of Rorek the color of his shirt matches his eyes perfectly.

molly March 29, 2010 at 6:22 PM  

great job!!! little rorek looks sooo cute!!!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP