Tuesday, June 2, 2009

from warm & cozy to clean & fresh

This was sort of my birthday present this year.  No, Travis didn't DO this, but he agreed to me doing it (by now chances are you've already scrolled down :)  Painting is neither a strength of his or mine.  So when that word leaves my mouth it's instant groaning and complaining from him.  I've actually been "over" the old look and colors for about 6 months now.  I liked that the red gave my home a warm, inviting, and cozy feel.  But I just wanted something lighter!  Honestly, I don't want to go into the LONG process of picking colors because it makes me frustrated thinking about it.  Let me just say, you really have to paint the WHOLE room to understand the true color you will get.  Chances are you won't get it right the first time.


My friends Jay and Kelsey just bought a house in town and I've spent some time over there admiring Jay's paint job!  I already had the "itch" to re-paint my living room and dining room, but seeing their fun colors was the push I needed to do it.

This memorial day weekend I primed.  Travis helped a little.  I had a couple of GREAT friends give me some moral support on paint color choices and my fabulous friend Mollie donated her time to help me finish the project.

We bought the old rug 3(ish) years ago.  Long before we knew we'd have a white dog :)  It had a lot of dark colors in it.  We tried to vacuum it often, but nothing really kept it looking clean.  Plus, with my new fresh colors, I really wanted a rug the complimented them.  I only bought 1 accessory pillow at target (I had the others) and I'm really happy with the results :)

Before:
After:






PS:
The room looks a lot bigger and more open without a coffee table in the middle.  But it's really handy to be able to put your feet up, or have somewhere for your drink.  I'm just not sure... I've thought about getting a leather ottoman, but feel like it would probably be smarter to wait until we get new furniture.  I'll probably end up buying something spur of the moment one of these days :)  Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Becky Bartlett June 2, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

Looks great!! I love the new colors!! Good pick.

Anonymous June 2, 2009 at 2:09 PM  

Love the rug! I think it will do a better job. I do like the paint colors! IT does seem fresh and clean. I have to say though, i really liked the Red and your mission table together. It was just so cozy...But everything is so much brighter now! Overall i think it was a good change.
Callie

Kelsey June 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM  

Ooo! It looks great Ashley! Good color choices. I think it looks really nice without the coffee table, too, but I'm like you - I like having something there.

Autumn June 10, 2009 at 2:00 PM  

hi! i got to your blog from johnni and matt's blog...about the coffee table, are you near a town that has a craigslist? www.craigslist.com there are always great used furniture buys on there!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP