Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Quest

Oh yes, peanut butter.  The great debate in my home.  Alright, basically just in my head; is what kind of peanut butter to buy and consume.  The one on the left, the basic Skippy creamy is what we've always bought.  Don't get me wrong,  I love a good chunky spread.  Creamy is simply more versatile when it comes to not only toast, but baking, and paired with apples.


It has come to my attention that this particular peanut butter is mostly a fat spread packed with partially hydrogenated  oil.  So I thought I wanted to be healthier, and it would be a great idea to buy a "natural" choice instead.  Luckily for me, the Skippy Natural was right next to my normal peanut butter.  I thought I'd give it a try.  There are 10 less calories per serving in this container, but MORE saturated fat.  I'm confused.  I do like that it only contains peanuts, salt, sugar and palm oil.

ALAS, my chiropractor and I were having a good ole talk about peanut butter the other day and I was recommended  Smuckers natural peanut butter.  I bought it.  Do I like it?  No I do not.  I do love that Smuckers has completely cut out the sugar and oil in their jar.  The only ingredients are peanuts and salt.  Of course there is a BUT.  WAY more calories.  And the texture feels soo wrong to me.  I also don't understand this:  The label reads: stir and refrigerate.  Ok, so I did that.  But now its so hard I can't spread it on anything!  I'm going to stick it out and try to get used to it.  

I don't know what the best choice is!  If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it :)

4 comments:

Johnni February 26, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

Funny, because just before I read your post, I went for some PB with a banana. Our entire family LOVES peanut butter. Matt and I can't get enough of it - in shakes, on fruit, on pancakes, toast, ice cream, you name it. Plus the pups love it. I'm sure there are other good alternatives out there, but one of our staples has been Smart Balance's creamy PB. (look for a green lid and some green background on the label.) They make chunky too (red lid), but I've never tried it. Don't get too caught up on the calories or the fat -- it comes from a nut, so it's going to have those... This doesn't have any of the hydrogenated oils, just peanuts, natural oil blend (flaxseed and plam fruit oils), molasses, & salt. Those omega-3's are good fats (for the most part - there are healthier nuts...)! Wow, what a long comment -- my point is this stuff is tasty and the texture is "normal." Give it a try!

Lindsey February 26, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Great post Ashley!

I have used the Smuckers all natural for years and YES it is an adapted taste!!! Its so funny because now regular PB is SO gross to me. Make sure you stir it REALLY well to get all the oil mixed otherwise it will be rock hard. It should be creamy if you do that, but if not then pop it in the microwave for a few seconds. It will soften it up. =)

Kelsey February 26, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

JIF - creamy. Forget all natural, go with the good stuff! : )

Johnni February 27, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

Alright, call me a PB freak, but here's another thought on your Smucker's all natural -- we used to use it a lot too and liked alright. I ended up using the rest of ours up on toast (easier to spread because it's hot). Plus, if you add a little jelly, it's not too bad!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP