Friday, December 16, 2011

Welcome Lincoln Jay


We welcomed our son, Lincoln Jay into the world on December 12, 2011. It's so hard for me to put my emotions into words. It was by far the best day of my life and the most amazing experience. Even though the day happened about 3 weeks earlier than expected, I couldn't have dreamed of a better birth experience.


My labor was fast and intense. Travis and I had been preparing for a natural childbirth by going to Bradley Birthing classes. These classes were amazing in preparing us for the day and I would recommend them to anyone! An extremely short version of my birth story is that we checked into the hospital about 1:30pm because my midwife found me to be dilated to 8 cm at an appointment earlier that day. She was stumped as to how my body was so far into labor without me really knowing or being uncomfortable. I was experiencing NO pain at this point. They thought it was risky for me to go home because we weren't exactly prepared for a home birth or a birth in the Walmart parking lot! Kim, my midwife broke my water close to 2:00pm and things went really quickly from there. Everything happened so fast and my contractions were really close with no rest in between. I remember saying that I didn't know what to do. Kim reassured me that my body was already doing it.

Lincoln was born at 5:29pm. I was practically in shock when Kim told me to reach down and grab my baby. I brought Lincoln to my chest in utter amazement. I could not believe he was here! I honestly couldn't believe a baby had come from my body. Yes, it should be a given that it would happen after being pregnant for 9 months.




Travis was absolutely amazing during the experience. When we talked about going to the hospital after my appointment he was pretty much in panic mode. Once we got to the hospital he really stepped up into the role of "coach" and I know I couldn't have done it without him. During the really hard and intense parts, I could only look to him. He was amazing and poured on the praise and encouragement.




I think Lincoln looks like Travis. He has his nose and ears. His ears are really the spitting image of his daddy's. We were amazed our little guy had any hair! We were both bald babies and completely assumed our offspring would be the same way.


Our first family photo! It was important to me that my mom was there for the birth. I find so much comfort in her presence and knew she would love to see the birth of her grand-baby. Plus, she was our birth photographer! It's not hard to guess where I first learned the craft of photography. I am so thankful for these images. I can't look at them without getting weepy.



It's hard to even grasp this gift which we've been given. Lincoln is our little miracle boy. This is such an incredible Christmas season for our family. We've been living in seclusion this week, just enjoying our son. Praise God! He is SO good!

20 comments:

Becky Bartlett December 16, 2011 at 8:19 PM  

Oh, Ashley... these pictures make me want to weep, too! He is perfect! So glad things went fast and smooth! Enjoy that little miracle of yours. What a great gift this Christmas!

Johnni December 16, 2011 at 8:19 PM  

Pretty mama! So great to hear about your fam. I really like the shot where Travis is looking at Lincoln and you can see his wedding ring. Wish I could meet this little guy sooner!

sandi December 16, 2011 at 8:25 PM  

These make me weepy too. Beautiful, these pictures are priceless. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous December 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM  

Oh Ashley & Travis the miracle of life is amazing!!! The birth of a child is the absolute best. Blessed you are to share this in your lives!!! I can not wait to meet, hold & love Baby Lincoln! Take care and enjoy this special time! Love, Aunt Cindy

The Garvin's December 16, 2011 at 9:25 PM  

What an amazing birth story!! If only everyone's could be that quick! He's so adorable and I'm so happy for you!! Enjoy him while he's oh so little! :) CONGRATS!

Unknown December 16, 2011 at 9:47 PM  

Welcome Lincoln!!! Congrats new family of three!! These pictures make me smile and get teary eyed all at the same time...great job, G'ma Linda! Know you've waited to hold that precious one in your arms... enjoy the days ahead with a true bundle of JOY to hold! He's beautiful!

Kris Hoskinson December 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM  

isn't kim the BEST!?! i just got teary with your pics and your baby story too. so awesome. so happy for you guys. you will be such amazing parents. enjoy the moments of the holidays with a little one, it makes it all look so different, so amazing!

Kymm December 17, 2011 at 12:27 AM  

Congratulations! What a wonderful story, and the timing was just incredible. I'm so glad your mom was there and the photos she took are marvelous. I'm so very happy for all of you!

sarah December 17, 2011 at 12:33 AM  

what a beautiful story and a even more beautiful baby boy. what a lucky little boy to have such loving happy parents. that radiates clearly from the pictures. congrats to all of you. with love, sarah phillips

Michele Neibauer December 17, 2011 at 7:39 AM  

Congrats Ashley and Travis. Lincoln Jay is beautiful. These photos are amazing. Linda did an excellent job. Enjoy your new little boy..the time goes so fast. Merry Christmas!

Love, Michele Neibauer

SLC December 17, 2011 at 8:22 AM  

The BEST Christmas Gift EVER!!! Thanks for sharing

Amy December 17, 2011 at 9:34 AM  

I'm in love. What beautiful photos and story. My heart is so full of love and joy for you and your boys. ;)

Andrea December 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM  

thank you for sharing such a personal and special moment for you and your family. Congratulations on little Lincoln and have a very Merry Christmas this year. What an amazing gift.

Kim R December 17, 2011 at 1:05 PM  

Congrats, Schrage family!!! What a Christmas blessing:) I love the family shot. Your mom did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing your story.

Johnni December 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM  

Had to come back for more... so happy for you and miss you, lady - that is all!

Anonymous December 18, 2011 at 7:44 AM  

Great pictures Linda! Cousin Lexi can't wait until Lincoln can run around and play with her!
Callie

Anonymous December 19, 2011 at 10:59 AM  

Ashley- what a beautiful family you have!!!! :) Congratulations to all of you. He's so precious. Amazing pics to you. Can't wait to meet your lil Christmas gift.
Love,
Nick, Angelina, Aliviah & Fonzy Lingua

The Schilling's December 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM  

Oh my Ashley! Congrats! I was so surprised to hear how early he was!! What a beautiful family and pictures!!

cindy December 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM  

Hi Ashley--I worked with your Mom at HCI---she was so excited to have her gradson be born! AND he is so perfect--what a blessing this holiday season! Love him and be there for him--you and Travis have your work cut out for you! Sincerely--Cindy Swoyer

b+k December 26, 2011 at 8:13 AM  

hey lovely! thank you and thank your mom for giving us a glimpse into the first few moments with your newest addition. I'm so happy for you guys, and so excited for the future for you :) miss you and love you all! give lincoln some extra snuggles from me...

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP